N.B. As before, you will need to book onto a walk. Please contact the leader no sooner than 9.00 am. on the preceding Friday. Bookings made before that time will be ignored.
All walks start from the Rec. at 9.30 am prompt unless otherwise stated. However, leaders will also give an additional starting point and time should members wish to travel straight to the actual start point.
Car Parking Charge to be shared between car occupants. Leisure walkers please check bus timetables and remember to take your bus passes. Books of walks and maps are available to borrow from the Ramblers Secretary.
In order to keep to safe walking practices, we ask you to comply with the following advice:
- All leaders to complete Risk Assessment forms and Booking/ Track and Trace forms as requested i.e. RA’s by Tuesday prior to walk (no form, no walk) and Booking forms by/on day of walk and retained for 21 days.
- Please ensure you book on with the leader of the walk from 09:00 Friday preceding the walk, no bookings will be taken beforehand and any before Friday 09:00 will be discounted.
- Please inform the leader if you are booked on but cannot make the walk thereby freeing up a space for someone else on the waiting list.
- Please ask the leader if you are unsure of the start of the walk.
- If you need transport from the Rec to the start of the walk it is your responsibility to arrange this beforehand as the leader is unlikely to be at the Rec. We cannot guarantee to organise any lifts on the day so please do not just turn up expecting a lift. Please follow strict social distancing arrangements including using face coverings where appropriate if car sharing and on the walk
- Please check the website regularly for updates and for any guidance notes and please familiarise yourselves with them.
- Please assist those not on email and without internet access to print off and tell them about any changes.
Any questions please contact Mick on 07484 104460
It is important that all walkers and leaders also read and follow the guidance given in the documents below.
Walkers: Additional Guidance for Walkers
Leaders: Where appropriate, there is a choice between the Microsoft Word version and the PDF version
4.Leaders Register: PDF
If you want to read The Ramblers guidance in full the web link is Ramblers Association
It is suggested that if you are thinking of joining us for the first time on one of our walks you contact the leader for details. Feel free to come and walk with us for a few times before deciding if you wish to join.
LEISURELY walks – 2 to 3 miles, generally avoiding hills and poor surfaces, taken at a leisurely pace.
SHORT walks – approx. 5 miles at a moderately brisk pace and finishing around 12:30, includes a 15min stop at a grassy spot for a drink if you’ve brought one.
LONG walks – 8 to 11 miles at a moderately brisk pace, with a midday break for picnic/cafe/pub lunch and finishing mid-afternoon
SATURDAY walks – approx. 5 – 6 miles at a moderately brisk pace and finishing around 12:30, includes a 15min stop at a grassy spot for a drink if you’ve brought one. There are no Saturday walks during this period.
Bluebells in Horam 2.5 miles. No stiles
Meet at Polegate Downland Medical Centre for 09:45 No.51 bus. Fishing lakes and woods. Some rough ground in the woods £2 entry fee
Hankham Circular 5.5 miles 10 stiles.
From Shepham Lane/Levett Road Polegate past the wind generators to Hankham via Priesthaws farm then back down the 1066 walk to Sharnfold and along Route 21 to the finish. Two busy road crossings to be careful of. Pleasant easy walk through fields and woodland wild flowers. Start at Levett Road/Shepham Lane junction at 09:30
Judy 07802877514 SVP N/A
Breaky Bottom Circular 9 miles. 2 stiles.
Kingston start then a climb up to Kingston Ridge onto the SDW. Head south and then west past Breaky Bottom vineyard, a bombed out village and through a nature reserve. Gradual ascents (apart from the start which is steep) 09:30 at Polegate Rec or 10.00 at far end of The Avenue, Kingston. Picnic
Alan 500664 or 07753 610752 Email email@example.com SVP £2.40
Allons Y 10 Miles 10 Stiles
A mostly flat walk through fields and along tracks in 1066 country. Walk starts in Herstmonceux. Use car park opposite primary school Grid Ref: 634125 (What 3 Words: deferring.edits.surgical) 09:15 at Polegate Rec or 09.45 at Herstmonceux. Picnic.
Gill 733155 or 07963930941 SVP £1.50
Local Polegate 2.5 miles. No stiles.
Meet at Polegate Taxi office at 10:00 for walk to Dittons Corner.
Guns and Bells 5 miles. 12 stiles.
Starting at Chiddingly public car park (no charge) the walk is circular through fields and woods passing the Equestrian Centre for a coffee break. Cross Bull River and return to Chiddingly on the WealdWay. Polegate Rec at 09:30.
Royce and Denise 646303 or 07815193363 SVP £1.60
The Downs on our Doorstep 10.75 miles 6 stiles
Circular walk starting at East Dean Car Park, Crowlink, coffee at Belle Tout, up to Beachy Head, lunch overlooking Eastbourne and back to East Dean. Meet at Polegate Rec at 09:30 or East Dean at 09.45
Lindsey 509641 or 07974930105 SVP £1